Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bonding with My Baby through Infant Massage

I was sitting in the waiting room at the pediatrician's office today, perusing one of many parenting magazines targeted toward moms when I came across an article about the benefits of baby massage. My interest peaked as a result of seeing infant massage mentioned in a few "best practices for baby" books, and so I read to see what the hulabaloo was all about.

It turns out that there are quite a bit of perks to kneading your baby that I wasn't aware of. The one that caught my attention, increased sleeping time. Boo-yah! Much to the consternation of my moral wife, I stashed the magazine in my coat pocket for a walk-through guide to becoming a manly masseus once we returned home.

After feeding my daughter and changing her diaper I walked through the step-by-step (simplified) rub down routine.

First things first, rub some olive oil in the palm of your hands to warm before rubbing it on your baby. Check. Now, rub your baby gently from the forhead, over the scalp, and down her nape. She responded well, and I didn't mind the added benefit of her smelling like anyou  italian restaraunt either.

Next, using the pads of your fingers, rub outward from her neck to her shoulders. Now she was really starting to settle into it.

After that, use your fingers to massage up and down along the length of her back, avoiding rubbing directly on her spine.

Then, rub up and down along her baby triceps. She was curling up at this point, so I gently grasped her palm and stretched out her arm. She didn't seem to mind one bit.

Move down to the legs and rub her hamstrings and calf muscles with the same motion as you did with her arms.

Flip that flapjack over and massage her torso on biceps exactly as you did along her back and triceps.

By the time I was done (a whole 10 minutes or so), that premie baby looked like she was floating on a cloud. Still somewhat skeptical about the massage working on the first try, I decided to swaddle her and lay her down in her bassinet (a surefire cause for crying), and . . . she's laying there, content. As a matter of fact, she has been relaxing in that bassinet for the last 45 minutes without so much as a peep. In all seriousness, I keep checking up on her to make sure that she is still breathing.

Had I not tried baby massage myself, I would have continued to brush it off as a fad. Of course, it was only our first time. But in the words of Davy Jones, "I saw her face. Now I'm a believer."

3 comments:

  1. This is Lisa (married to Chad) I just read this same article yesterday!!!! Funny, small world. My kids have all loved to be massaged, rubbed or back scratched... they still asked to have all 3 done and can sit for long periods of time as we do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harper slept through the night better than she has in previous nights. She still woke to be fed, but I woke up at 5:00 this morning feeling a lot more rested than any other weekday yet. I fed and massaged her this morning, and I am interested to hear from my wife how our daughter responds this morning. Thanks for taking the time to read my post, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We started Lillie's routine of bath, massage, and singing at 7pm every night when she was 7 months. After a coule weeks, she knew it was bedtime and started sleeping longer. I wish I had started it sooner!

    ReplyDelete