Tuesday, January 24, 2012

New to Blogging . . . and Being a Dad.

The amount of poop in my house increased tenfold a few weeks ago as the result of bringing my first born child, Harper, home from the hospital. Born one month premature, Harper is a beautiful, baby girl who has filled our home and my heart with love. She has also inspired in me a desire to be an informed, involved, papa.

Growing up as an only child, I envied the boys who had younger sisters to protect and defend. It seemed like the life of a superhero to me, and I could tell that those baby sisters idolized their big brothers, regardless of any attitude that they copped.

As a 25-year old daddy, I get to lace up the proverbial spandex and cape for the first time in my life as I learn to raise my daughter. Nothing excites me more than watching her exist. I digest books, magazines, and blogs about parenting and being an involved father. The moment I arrive home from a hard day in the elementary classroom I ditch the shirt and tie and get into my play clothes, sweep my daughter into my arms and talk to her about her day. I've noticed that her eyes are more able to focus on my face each time we have this debriefing, and with each glance at me, my heart is more able to focus on her.

Those bonding moments are important and priceless, but they are interrupted by nap time quite often. During those "breaks" I like to learn more about parenting, child development, and supporting my wife in our efforts to raise our daughter. In an attempt to make this relationship with parenting information reciprocal I decided to start Poop Culture, my blog about my adventures as a new dad. Here, I'll share my ideas, findings, suggestions, and thoughts about raising my daughter. Hopefully, you might find nuggets of gold that might help your personal adventure in understanding and raising your children too . . . even if those nuggets have a little poop on them.

2 comments:

  1. So EXCITED about your blog Dave & the couple posts I already read are so informative & fun. THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read. I am excited about it too, but not nearly as excited as I am about being a daddy. I can't wait for the Guymons from Texas to meet Harper.

      Delete